Sunday, February 25, 2007

Valentine's Day dinner <3

So, this year, I decided to make up one of our favorite dishes: Orecchiette with Cherry Tomatoes and Kalamata Tapenade, from Vegan With A Vengeance. For dessert, I tried a recipe featured in the February 2007 issue of VegNews for a Devil's Food Cake. It seemed intriguing.

Well, dinner was eaten fairly late as I had class that night and Mark works longer hours at his new job. Fortunately, I prepared most of the dinner ingredients beforehand however, I didn't have time to ice the cupcakes.

By the time we were ready for dessert, I was too tired to make up the frosting. Mark was jonesing for a sweet and doesn't care much for frosting anyway. He took one bite of these cupcakes and spit it out. Then, this coming from a man who is reticient to throw anything out, told me to throw all the cupcakes away! Oh, but I was to taste one before I threw them away to see what he meant. He was right, they were heinous! Last time I use a recipe calling for beets. And, the finished product did not look like the ever popular Red Velvet Cake. Pooh!

I'm sticking with the cupcakes from my new vegan cupcake cookbook. Lesson learned. I'd have posted a picture of the disastrous cupcakes but I threw out before I could capture them digitally. Pas de probléme.


one of the best recipes in VWAV

No comments: